Saturday, May 16, 2009

10 Min. in Damascus

Hello, hello. We are in Damascus alive and well. I'm clean. I can't emphasize how awesome that is. Just got my first shower in 2 weeks and my first time doing laundry in 3 weeks. Why do people like thru-hikers? I have about 10 minutes to throw something down, so pardon the brevity. Trail days is great. Julia and I didn't realize how many friends we had made on the trail until we were all in one place. There are ~25,000 people here for the festivities; hikers, past hikers, friends of the trail and vendors galore. The owner of Granite Gear said he would fix my pack for free (he was a little inebriated at the time). A great pack, but I have every strap tightened as far as it will go and its still falling off my hips. And its a medium. Dry food and copious exercise: the ultimate diet plan. We're finally hitting sub-par water sources, so we're purifying again. Boo. My kilt is great, a bit drafty, but great. There's no resistance when hiking and keeps me ventilated. I'm playing with the trail name The Phlo, but I may not keep it. People like Mr. Anonymous aparantly. We didn't quite make it to trail days, we caught a ride out of Dennis Cove from the Kinkora Hostel about 50 miles south o' Damascus. On monday we're headed back there and get a double dose of Damascus. Shoot, getting booted.

The Aqua Blaze: From Waynesboro to Harpers Ferry. 200 miles that cuts off 150 miles of white blazing. Oh well. Purism went out the window a while ago. I would love to have some friends meet us for that stretch, partly because somebody needs to bring boats. Lenny, I know you got a truck and nothing better to do. This will take place around the middle of June. I will have an exact-ish date by the begining of June. Anyone who wants in should shoot me an e-mail at jessrumburg@gmail.com The whole thing should take a week to a week and a half, and there is the town of Front Royal halfwaydown the river in case people can't make the whole thing. Thanks Manner for the tentative aid, I look forward to a visit out to camp.

Ok, wish I had more time and cell service. There are a lot of people I want to call. And Mike D, any time you want me to wipe the floor with you in Goldeneye, you got it. Love to all, I advise a long stint in the woods for all that ailes you. Peace

4 comments:

  1. Big talk from someone with no electricity, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on making it to Damascus. You're doing it the right way, HYOH at your own pace and enjoying every minute - well, maybe not all those minutes in the pouring rain of which you've had more than your fair share this year.

    So you want to aqua blaze? Yeah, most aqua blazers paddle the Shenandoah but here's the challenge for you: try the Housatonic in CT and MA. There's about 70 miles of Trail from the first crossing to the last. It's upstream and I don't know if there's any outfitters but why not? Of course, that means you miss the CT roller coaster, Sages Ravine, Race Mountain, and other cool places.

    Glad you experienced Trail Days. I cancelled plans to go because things are too hectic - I'm moving away from Frostburg June 1. Happy Trails! I'm hiking the White Mts in mid-July, probably before you get there but I'll look for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What were you guys wearing that day? there's all kinds of pictures of trail days online but it's hard to tell one dirty hippy from another.

    ReplyDelete